thepariscarter

Paris Carter

I love reading historical, young adult, romance, and sc-fi novels.

Cloak of the Light
Chuck Black
Story Engineering
Larry Brooks
Brave New World
Aldous Huxley

The Summer I Found You

The Summer I Found You - Jolene Perry Originally posted on Paris Carter

The summer I Found You is one of the first books by Jolene Perry that I've ever read, and it's by far won't be the last. The Summer I Found You is one of those quirky romances that you tend to enjoy in small doses, but could never really love or hold it as one of your favorite novels. Here's the synopsis below.
All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?

Jolene Perry takes a simplistic approach in her writing style opening the novel up to people of younger ages, but the plot itself is still one that should be experience by an older audience. Perry's writing simplistic writing styles tackles the difficult, somewhat challenging, plot greatly and makes the novel easier and a better experience.

Kate and Aidan are two greatly written characters and make the story all the what memorable. Kate, unlike other female, isn't an annoying character who keeps talking about her problems the entire novel, but she kinds of holds her problems on the inside and as the reader it makes an amazing experience watching as she collapses towards the end. But Kate's viewpoints is where I have a problem with. She views her diabetes as a flaw and that it sets her apart from society and that other people will look down on her due to it, but I feel as if that's not the case, because that's as if looking down on someone due to them having asthma. This is where Kate starts to come off as an annoying characters seeing a problem that's not really a problem. Aidan is also the same way, but is more isolated than Kate is. Aidan's part of the story is little bit more enjoyable in my opinion as it covers a little bit more of a mature subject matter.

But The Summer I Found You only has one fatal flaw. It's plot is a little bit uninteresting. To me, the plot feels like a rip off of a lot of other novels as two uniquely created characters like each other, but can't date each other because both of them are either insecure or their problems get in the way. The same premise of another popular novel The Fault In Our Stars, and so many other novels. As much as Aidan is interesting, he can't hold up the entire novel by himself and this is where the novel starts to become uninteresting.

Jolene Perry is still an interesting author in my opinion and I would most likely be going deeper into her other works. But I wouldn't recommended this novel due to it's alright characters and mediocre plot.

Final Score: 2.7